Ferris State Pulls Out Overtime Road Win In Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Ferris State Pulls Out Overtime Road Win In Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Photo Courtesy Michigan Tech

Big Rapids, Mich. - It took overtime, but the Ferris State University men's basketball squad found a way to register a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) road win in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on Thursday (Feb. 4) night as the Bulldogs topped Michigan Tech 80-78 inside MTU's Student Development Complex Gymnasium.

The Bulldogs won their 18th game of the season as they opened round two of GLIAC North Division play by posting their second win over the Huskies in as many tries this campaign. FSU improved to 18-4 overall and 12-4 in the GLIAC with the triumph.

Ferris State led by as many as 10 points in the opening half and owned a 40-33 lead at halftime before MTU battled back in the second half. The two teams went back and forth down the stretch before FSU narrowly missed a potential game-winning shot in the closing second of regulation.

The Bulldogs bolted out to the early lead in overtime and led by as many as five points in the extra session. Again, though, MTU fought back and cut the margin down a single point. FSU registered a late stop and hit one of two free throws with 2.9 seconds to play to make it a two-point contest before a potential game-winning three at the buzzer by the Huskies fell well short.

Senior center Jared Stolicker paced the Bulldogs with 16 points and nine rebounds in 32 minutes of action. He was one of three seniors in double-digits with forward James Chappell adding 15 points and six boards. Meanwhile, senior forward Josh Fleming had a big second half to finish with 12 points and six rebounds.

Their performances helped offset a 35-point game from Michigan Tech freshman forward Kyle Monroe, who made 12-of-18 field goals and all eight of his free throws. Senior Luke Heller added 12 points, but those were the only two MTU players to reach double-digits.

Ferris State connected on 50% of its field goals and converted seven-of-18 (38.9%) three's along with nine-of-14 (64.3%) free throws.

Defensively, FSU limited MTU to 45.2% shooting, including only a one-of-five (20%) showing in overtime. The Huskies made eight-of-20 (40%) three's and 14-of-20 (70%) free throws.

While Ferris State turned the ball over 18 times to only 16 for Michigan Tech, FSU did own a slim 21-19 margin in points off turnovers. The Bulldogs also outrebounded MTU 39-33 for the game and pulled down 12 offensive boards, leading to a 13-9 advantage in second chance production.

Overall, FSU finished with 13 assists, six steals and three blocks in comparison to Michigan Tech's 14 assists, 13 steals and four swats. The Huskies dropped to 8-12 overall and 7-9 in the GLIAC with the loss in a game that featured nine lead changes and was tied seven times.

Ferris State outscored Michigan Tech 46-36 inside the paint for the game.

The Bulldogs wrap up their trip to the UP by facing Northern Michigan for the second time this campaign on Saturday (Feb. 6) inside NMU's Berry Events Center in Marquette. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m. (ET) for the men's game.