Bulldog Women's Soccer Suffers Setback In Pivotal League Contest At Michigan Tech

Bulldog Women's Soccer Suffers Setback In Pivotal League Contest At Michigan Tech

Big Rapids, Mich. - The Ferris State University women's soccer team gave up only a single goal in the opening half on the road against highly-regarded Michigan Tech on Sunday (Oct. 26) before falling by a 3-0 count in Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) play at Sherman Field in Houghton.

The contest pitted two teams both tied for third in the GLIAC standings with six wins apiece heading into the matchup.

Michigan Tech struck first at 23:30 of the first half when Amber Hynnek notched her first goal of the year off an assist from Lexi Herrewig.  The goal came on a header in the box off a corner kick try.

The contest remained 1-0 much of the rest of the way until the Huskies added a pair of late goals less than two minutes apart in the 82nd and 83rd minutes of action.

The second MTU goal came from Haley Crites, who recorded her first goal of the year as well on a shot 25-yards out off an assist by Lindsey Van rooy.  It came at 82:34 and was followed by Herrewig's fifth goal of the campaign on a tight angle shot from 10 yards away at 83:59, which was unassisted.

Senior Rachel McCollum played the initial 84:03 in net for the Bulldogs and made six saves on nine tries for FSU in the setback.  Savanna Wojtanowski came on in relief and had a single save in 5:57 of action.

On the Michigan Tech side, Marybeth Spoehr improved to 4-1-1 in net as she played the entire 90 minutes and totaled five saves.

Abby Meirndorf recorded a squad-best five shots for the Bulldogs with sophomore Nichole Boehnke netting three attempts.  Senior Amanda Foster had two shots, both of which were on net for FSU.

Meanwhile, Herrewig posted four shots and all four were on goal for the Huskies. 
overall, Ferris State held a slim 16-15 advantage in total shots, but Michigan Tech had 10 on goal compared to five for the Bulldogs.

The contest also featured a number of fouls as FSU was called for 15 and the Huskies were charged with 13 on the day.  Ferris State had four corners and the Huskies had two.

With the setback, Ferris State fell to 8-6-1 overall and 6-4-1 in league action to date this year.  Michigan Tech improved to 10-4-1 overall and 7-2-1 in the GLIAC.

The Bulldogs will return home for their final two regular-season contests at the FSU Soccer Field in Big Rapids.  FSU hosts rival Grand Valley State in non-conference action on Wednesday (Oct. 30) at 4 p.m. (ET) followed by a league matchup against Lake Erie next Sunday (Nov. 3) beginning at 12 p.m. (ET).